To qualify for support, you must be studying a taught course that we fund and meet our residence eligibility criteria. We may also take into account any previous study.


We only support certain taught postgraduate courses, mostly at diploma and masters level.

We do not offer tuition fee support for research based programmes such as PhD’s. Courses at that level are the responsibility of one of the Research Councils


You must be studying a course that has a taught element and is not completely distance-learning. If you are studying part-time on a postgraduate course outside Scotland, you will not be eligible for a tuition fee loan from us but you may still be eligible for DSA.

You may still be eligible if you are studying for a Professional Graduate Diploma in Education (see undergraduate funding).

Previous Study

You will not be eligible for help with the cost of your tuition fees if you have already received support from UK or other EU public funds for a course of postgraduate study.

However, we may exceptionally offer you help with your tuition fees if you have to retrain or repeat your course because of medical or compassionate reasons. If this applies to you, you should contact us for advice.


You must meet our normal residence conditions to be eligible for funding for a part-time postgraduate course.

Further information is available in our full eligibility rules.