To qualify for this funding, you will need to meet our eligibility criteria on courses, previous study and residence.


You must be taking a course in pre-registration nursing or midwifery leading to the award of a degree or Diploma in Higher Education in Scotland. If you wish to study one of these courses elsewhere in the UK, please contact us for advice.

Previous study

If you have previously received UK or other EU public funds for one or more courses of higher education, you may still receive full support to study a nursing or midwifery course at undergraduate level. This does not apply if your previous course was in nursing or midwifery.


To meet our residence eligibility conditions, you must have been ‘ordinarily resident’ in the United Kingdom (UK), the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for three years immediately before the relevant date (the first day of the first academic year of the course). You must also be ordinarily resident in Scotland on the relevant date.

The relevant date will be 1 August for autumn start courses and 1 January if your course commences at the start of the year.

‘Ordinarily resident’ means that you, your parents or your husband, wife or civil partner live in a country year after year by choice. Living here totally or mainly for full-time education does not count as being ‘ordinarily resident’.

If you are a non-EU national, you must also be settled in the UK (as set out in the Immigration Act 1971) on the relevant date. To find out more about getting settled status, please visit the Home Office website or call their helpline on 0870 606 7766.