To qualify for support, you must be studying a course that we fund and meet our residence eligibility criteria. We may also take into account any previous study.


To qualify for support, you must be studying an eligible course of higher education. The main types of full-time courses we fund are:

  • Validated first degree courses at universities and colleges in the United Kingdom;
  • One year Higher National Certificates (HNC);
  • Two year Higher National Diplomas (HND);
  • Diploma in Higher Education;
  • Certain courses at privately funded institutions;
  • Certificate of Higher Education


To meet the general residence conditions, you must have been ordinarily resident in the EU, the EU overseas territories, elsewhere in the EEA or Switzerland for the three years immediately before the first day of the first academic year of the course (the relevant date). For the majority of students who start their course in the autumn term, the relevant date is 1 August.

You must also be an EU national (non UK) or the family member of such on the relevant date.

Further information is available in our full residence eligibility rules

Previous study

We will normally support you for the minimum number of years you require to complete your programme of study. However, we will allow you one extra year’s funding to cover scenarios that include:

  • Academic repeat years;
  • Medical or compassionate repeat years;
  • Approved changes of course;
  • Intercalated years;
  • Year one of a degree for HND holders;
  • Year one of an HND for HNC holders.

If you already hold a degree and you received support from your home country or other EU public funds then we may not be able to offer you support. Further information about how previous study will impact your future funding is available.

We will not pay your tuition fees if you are studying in Scotland for one year as part of your course at your home institution to which you will transfer credits, return to and graduate from.