To meet the general residence conditions, you must have been ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years immediately before the first day of the first academic year of the course (the relevant date). For the majority of students who start their course in the autumn term, the relevant date is 1 August.

You must also be ordinarily resident in Scotland on the relevant date.

If you are not a UK or other EU national, you must also have ‘settled status’ in the UK (as set out in the Immigration Act 1971) on the relevant date. If you have not been living in the UK, you may still qualify depending on your circumstances.

We will not treat you as being ordinarily resident in Scotland if your main purpose in coming here has been to receive full-time education and that you would have otherwise been living elsewhere.

If you do not meet the general residence conditions set out above, you may still be eligible to apply to us for support in certain circumstances.

Further information is available in our full residence eligibility rules

Government employees, members of the armed forces and their families can be absent from the UK, for work purposes, for long periods of time. If you or your family members want to return to the UK to study, your absence from the UK can affect your entitlement to student support. Select the relevant link for more details.