To qualify for support, you will need to meet our eligibility criteria on income, courses and qualifications, other funding, course providers and residence.


To qualify for this support, you must have an individual income of £25,000 a year or less, including bonuses and overtime.

Courses and Qualifications

You must be studying an eligible course of Higher Education or Continuing Professional Development at levels 7-10 of the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF)

You must be doing between 30-119 (120 credits for university courses which are not campus based) SCQF credits in each year of your course.

Examples of eligible qualifications include a degree, HNC, HND, Professional Graduate Diploma in Education, some Professional Development Awards, SVQ3 and SVQ4.

Other Funding

If you are attending a publicly funded college you may be eligible to apply for tuition fee support through a fee waiver scheme, which your college administers. Check with your college to find out if you are eligible. If you are, you must apply to the college for help with your tuition fees and not from us.

If you are eligible to apply for the part-time fee grant from us then we will take into account any help you are getting from an employer (towards the cost of fees) before deciding how much we can pay.

We cannot give you any part-time fee grant funding if you are already receiving support from another government training scheme. This includes the Employability Fund and the Modern Apprenticeship Scheme.

If you are already getting full-time support from us then you will not be eligible to apply for the part-time fee grant. This also includes those who are registered full-time but attend on a part-time basis.

Course Providers

We must approve and validate your college, university or private training provider before we can offer support.

This does not extend to any organisations outside Scotland. However, if you start your course in Scotland and move to another part of the United Kingdom, we may continue to offer you support if you remain registered with a Scottish university, college or private training provider that we approve, and are continuing with the same course.


You must meet our normal residence conditions to be eligible for the part-time fee grant.